Friday, July 23, 2010

Laundry Update

Since my last post on laundry, I had the leaking and wicking issue. From your comments, as well as more research of my own, I decided to switch laundry detergents. I originally chose Tide because I have friends who use it with great success, some sites that said it was fine to use, and it was readily available, so I figured it was a good start. In my case, it wasn't such a great decision, but I'll chalk it up to the learning process.


     Tangent: When doing research about anything, you are bound to find people who feel strongly about something and then on the next page someone who disagrees just as strongly - it is no different when researching cloth diapers. I can understand why people feel overwhelmed when they want to start cloth diapering. There is a lot of information out there and it can seem like an impossible task to process it all.


I am now using Rockin' Green. My first order of business was to Rock a Soak. This process gets rid of the detergent buildup Tide may have left behind. I then did a regular wash and have been using it for a couple of weeks now. I'm not having leaking and wicking issues anymore, except for one particular brand of diaper, so I think that's a different issue I need to get to the bottom of. 


As I mentioned in my side note, research will give you many options, and there are some people who do not recommend the Rock a Soak method. Apparently PUL deteriorates from soaking. Although I didn't read that bit until after I did it, I think my diapers will be fine. I don't plan on soaking them regularly and one soak did the trick at this point. If I feel I need to do it again I will look into a basic stripping, rather than the soak. And just on a side note, I love the handy-dandy laundry scoop I bought along with my Rockin' Green - I don't have to find the perfect scoop, and it's magnetic so it's always right there, stuck to my washing machine.


Problem Solved.

2 comments:

Amy Walker said...

Following you from Cloth Diapering Bloggers Follow Back group!
Welcome!
Amy Walker
www.thecheapandchoosy.com

Courtney said...

I use RG for all our clothes!
Found you on cloth diaper blogging. New follower :)