Sunday, June 6, 2010

Overnight Diaper Success

I have been looking for a good solution for overnight diapering. (Aren't we all?) It's not that I've tried many kinds and they didn't work; it's that I was determined to find as trim a fit as possible without spending gads of money.

When I first started cloth diapering I tried a Goodmama good.nite with a Kushies cover. It worked really well - no leaks at all. But I didn't like how Little Man turned into a bowling pin when he wore it. I know many people are just looking for an overnight solution that works, so that wouldn't bother them, but for some reason I just couldn't put him in that every night. I also tried a Kawaii Goodnight Heavy Wetter. Again, it worked really well, but I didn't care for how bulky it was, and since he's a chubbo there were red marks on his thighs and back.

He's been wearing disposables at night, but in the meantime I've been trolling the web to find what other people are using at night. I had to narrow it down to what I wanted to try, keeping in mind cost (although all of it is cheaper than disposables), bulkiness, and what diapers I already owned that I could use. We had hit the end of our disposables pack and I didn't want to buy more, so I knew it was time to take action.

After making some lists and checking them twice, I decided to start with a BumGenius AIO 3.0 stuffed with a Knickernappies Loopy-Do insert. I already owned the BG (they're my favorite diaper so far) and I had just bought a Knickernappies to try, so I had the hemp insert. Success!

I placed a waterproof layer under him so that he would not soak our bed should it not work, but we had no leaks at all. Little Man was even kind enough to provide a small poop for the test round, and there was no wicking or leakage.

My first attempt after all that research and it worked! I am very happy with the results since BGs make up the bulk of my stash and I have a couple of Loopy-Do inserts already. I do wash every other day, so I don't even have to buy more inserts, although I may get a couple more so that I have a backup just in case. (I'll be ISO-ing on Diaperswappers soon!)

What do you use as a nighttime diaper?

3 comments:

hannah said...

We use a bumGenius one size diaper stuffed with two full size inserts. @bumgenius recommended this to me during a #clothdiapers Twitter chat, and I couldn't believe it would work! I was terrified to cloth diaper at night because we had so many leaks during nap time. But it did work. We've had only one leak in it, and I think that was due to operator error.

I've used the Fuzzi Bunz Perfect Size double-stuffed a few times too with some success.

Unknown said...

I use a Fuzzi Bunz stuffed with a Babykicks Hemparoo prefold AND a Babykicks joey-bunz insert. It's a little bulky but not too bad.

Unknown said...

We use our BumGenius 3.0 AIO's stuffed with 2 BumGenius Stay Dry Diaper doublers and in the morning... They are super dry. Not once have we had a leak with this method.